I like to keep thing simple sometimes. But, while these cupcakes are simple, goodness me are they incredible! Spongy, fluffy and deliciously light, these will definitely make an impact.
I do love a good cupcake. They are so easy, without the hassle of having to grease cake tins (Worst part of baking!)! And, of course, they are ready in half the time so you can eat them sooner!
To make these wonderful cupcakes: Combine the plant-based milk and apple cider vinegar and set aside.
Whisk all the dry ingredients together in a bowl.
Add the other wet ingredients to the curdled milk.
Add the wet ingredients to the dry mix and whisk to combine. Work quickly, because the raising agents will get to work immediately so the quicker you get them in the oven, the better they will rise.
Distribute the batter evenly between 12 cupcake cases and bake for 15 minutes at 170°C (338°F).
Let the cupcakes cool completely while you make the buttercream.
Using a hand-held electric whisk, beat the butter, then add the icing sugar. Beat until creamy and smooth.
Add food colouring (optional) and then combine.
Decorate the cupcakes and enjoy!
Description: These gorgeously light and fluffy cupcakes are perfect for satisfying a sweet tooth!
For the cupcakes:
- 210 ml (3/4 cup + 2 tbsp) plant milk
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) apple cider vinegar
- 210 g (1 2/3 cup) self-raising flour
- 200 g (1 cup) caster sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 80 ml (1/3 cup) vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
For the buttercream:
- 100 g (3/4 cup + 2 tbsp) vegan butter
- 250 g (2 cups) icing sugar, sifted
- 1-2 tbsp plant milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- A few drops of food colouring (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 170°C (338°F or Gas Mark 3) and line a 12-hole cupcake tin with cupcake cases.
- Mix the plant milk and apple cider vinegar and set aside. It is supposed to curdle, so don’t worry.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, sugar, salt, bicarbonate of soda and baking powder.
- Add the oil and vanilla extract to the plant milk then mix into the dry ingredients. Do not over-mix! The batter should still be a little lumpy.
- Distribute the batter evenly amongst the cupcake cases, taking care not to over-fill them.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Leave to cool completely while you make the buttercream.
- Using a handheld electric whisk, cream the butter.
- Add the icing sugar a little at a time, until you get a light and fluffy buttercream.
- Add the plant milk, food colouring (if using) and vanilla and fully combine.
- Once the cupcakes have fully cooled, decorate and enjoy!