Ah, tofu. What a wonderfully versatile ingredient. Flavoured well, it can taste incredible. These little bites certainly do. After marinating, you coat them in a breadcrumb mixture and bake them rather than fry, so they are super healthy.
If you don’t have enough breadcrumb mixture, or you are just incapable of waiting for it to bake like me, you can always just marinate it and eat it cold (rebel)! I promise you it tastes amazing!
|Baked Tofu Bites|
Description: These crispy little tofu bites are full of flavor!
Prep time: 40 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Serves: 6 people
Source of: Protein
Suitable for vegans
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) soy sauce
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) plant milk
- 1 tbsp (approx. 1 inch) ginger, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 block tofu, cut into cubes
- 40 g (1/2 cup, approx. 1 slice) breadcrumbs
- 35 g (1/4 cup) sesame seeds
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 40 g (1/3 cup) cornstarch
- Combine the plant milk, soy sauce, ginger, garlic and rice vinegar in a bowl. Put the tofu in and marinate for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine the breadcrumbs, sesame seeds, garlic and onion powder and pepper in a bowl. Put the cornstarch on a plate. Preheat your oven to 190°c ( 375°f).
- Once marinated, remove the tofu (saving the excess marinate!) and coat in cornflour, then back in the marinate, and then in the breadcrumb mixture. Place on a baking-paper lined tray and repeat with all of the tofu.
- Bake the tofu for 11 minutes, or until golden and crispy.
- Enjoy warm or cold!
Storage instructions: will store in an airtight container for a few days, best eaten fresh.