These wonderfully sticky treats are packed full of dried fruit, nuts and seeds so you feel a little less guilty… although it would be a stretch to call them healthy!
But alas! As much as I love making them, my little sister is the flapjack queen in our house, so she helped me devise the recipe for these squares of delight! (Shout out to Caydence, love you!) But where there is a flapjack queen, you will always find a chief-flapjack-eater (that would be me).
|The ultimate vegan fruit and nut flapjacks|
Description: These flapjacks are the perfect combination of
fruit and sweet, making them perfect for all occasions!
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 25-30 minutes
Serves: 16 squares
Source of: Omega 3, protein, calcium, iron etc.
Suitable for vegans
- 150 g (2/3 cup) vegan butter
- 150 g (3/4 cup) light brown sugar
- 50 g (2 tbsp + 2 tsp) golden syrup
- 200 g (2 cups) rolled oats
- 100 g (2/3 cup) dried fruit, chopped eg. Apricots, figs, dates, prunes, raisins etc.
- 50 g (1/3 cup) mixed nuts, chopped (optional)
- 3 tbsp seeds, eg. chia, flax, sesame, pumpkin, sunflower etc.
- Preheat your oven to 150°c (302°f) and line an 8″ square tin with baking parchment.
- In a pan, melt the vegan butter, sugar and golden syrup over a low heat until the butter has melted and the sugar has dissolved.
- Leave to cool while you mix the oats, dried fruit, nuts (if using) and seeds in a bowl.
- Pour in the butter-sugar mixture and combine.
- Press the flapjack into the tin and bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Leave to cool (it will firm up considerably in this time so don’t worry!) and then slice into approximately sixteen squares.
- Serve and enjoy.
Storage instructions: Will keep for a week in a airtight container.