Brownies are THE BEST. End of story. Full stop. I personally prefer the soft, fudgy kind, but hey! A brownie’s a brownie! And I wanted to prove all those people that tell me vegans only eat grass wrong. So these are THE ULTIMATE brownies. THE BEST brownies. And they are 100% V.E.G.A.N.
Since normal brownies are usually laden with butter and eggs and chocolate, this was a huge achievement for me! The soft, fudgy texture of these brownies with little pockets of chocolatey goodness are sure to put a big smile on everyone’s face. These brownies are best served warm, but ensure they cool properly before you eat them (I know how hard it is, but be strong!). Enjoy!
Remember to tag me on Instagram @betterthanrabbitfood if you make them!
|The fudgiest vegan brownies|
Description: These chocolatey squares (or
rectangles) of joy are so delicious and fudgy!
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Yields: 12 squares
Suitable for vegans
- 14 g (2 tbsp) ground flax seeds
- 120 ml (1/4 cup + 2 tbsp) water
- 1 tsp coffee
- 100 g ( 1/4 cup + 3 tbsp) vegan butter, melted
- 200 g (1 cup) caster sugar
- 100 g (1/2 cup) brown sugar
- 200 g (1 cup + 2 tbsp) vegan chocolate
- 200 g (1 cup + 3/4 cups) self-raising flour
- 50 g (1/2 cup) cocoa powder
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 170°C (340°F/ Gas Mark 3). Line an 8″ square tin with baking parchment, avoiding and excess grease if you can.
- In a small bowl, combine the water, coffee and flax seeds. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the melted vegan butter and both sugars. Melt half the chocolate and chop the rest.
- Add the melted chocolate, flax egg, flour, cocoa powder, salt and vanilla to the sugar mix. Combine.
- Mix in the remaining chocolate and then press into the tin.
- Bake for 20 minutes, resisting the urge to leave it in longer as it is supposed to be fudgy.
- Leave to cool for at least half an hour or until firm.
- Cut into 12 squares and enjoy!
Storage instructions: Will store in an airtight container for a week, best eaten fresh.