My honorary supervisor requested this recipe. So, here it is! (P.S. You’re welcome Grandad!) These pasties are delicious and filling, and just as good cold as they are hot! They may be traditionally British, but these pasties have a slight twist, with a filling similar to that of a vegetable samosa.
I love pastry, and making it is fun too. But oh my goodness I am terrible at shaping it! (Hence why my pasties are a little rough around the edges, shall we say. Although they are not only rough around the edges. Rough all over.) Although, despite the patchy pastry, they sure are tasty!
|Curried vegetable pasties|
Description: Flavourful, flaky an filling,
(look at me with my alliteration) these are
delicious pasties with a slight spin on them!
Prep time: 45 minutes- 1 hour
Cook time: 20 minute
Yields: 8 pasties
Suitable for vegans
- 1 medium potato, cubed
- 1 carrot, sliced in half and cut into small pieces
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 50 g (1/2 cup) frozen peas
- 80 g (1/3 cup) frozen plant-based mince
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 2 tsp salt
- 400 g (2 1/2 cups) plain flour
- 200 g (3/4 cups + 2 tbsp) vegan butter
- 60 ml (1/4) cold water
- Dairy-free milk, for brushing
- Preheat your oven to 180°C (340°F/ Gas Mark 4).
- Put the potatoes and carrots in a pan of lightly salted water and bring to the boil. Boil for 2 minutes then drain.
- In a frying pan, heat the oil and fry the onions until semi-translucent.
- Add the peas, mince and garlic and fry until everything has defrosted.
- Add the cumin, ground coriander, 1/2 tsp of turmeric, 1 tsp salt and the carrots and potatoes. Combine and leave to cool.
- In a bowl, put the flour, vegan butter and remaining turmeric and salt and rub with your fingertips until it resembles breadcrumbs.
- Add the water and combine to form a soft dough.
- Divide the dough into eight equal pieces. Take one, and roll it out into a circle.
- In the centre of each, put a little filling. DO NOT OVERFILL OR YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO FOLD THEM!!
- Fold the pastry in half and seal the edge. You can optionally crimp the edges with a fork.
- Score the tops with a fork and place on a baking-paper lined tray. Repeat with all of the dough. Brush with plant milk and bake for 20 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!
Storage instructions: Will keep in an airtight container for 2 days. Serve hot or cold.