Mac and cheese is a classic. I get that. But this recipe lives up to the standards, and I (We) use it at least once a week because it’s so good! There is also no vegan cheese in it, but if you wanted you could put it in an ovenproof dish, sprinkle it with grated vegan cheese and bake it for about 30 minutes at 190°C (375°F/ Gas mark 5). This will add a bit of texture!
To give a cheesy flavour, I used nutritional yeast. It is in most large supermarkets, heath food shops or you can get it in bulk online. It has a distinctively cheesy, nutty flavour and is a great source of vitamin B12. I like to sprinkle it over pasta sauces, in a carbonara, or really whatever you like! It is so healthy, and it tastes great.
|Vegan Mac and Cheese|
Description: Mac and cheese without the cheese:
still as creamy and just as cheesy!
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Suitable for vegans
- 650ml (2 cups + 3/4 cups) plant milk, warmed
- 55g (1/4 cup) vegan butter
- 55g (1/2 cup) plain flour
- 1 tsp mustard
- 15g (1/4 cup) nutritional yeast
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 300g (3 cups) Macaroni, cooked
- Melt the butter in a medium sized pan, and then add the flour. Stir to make a smooth paste.
- Slowly add the milk, stirring as you go, until there are no lumps. Heat gently and continue stirring until the sauce has reached the desired consistency.
- Sir in the mustard, nutritional yeast and season with salt and pepper.
- Add the cooked pasta and coat. Enjoy!
Storage instructions: Will keep in the fridge for 3 days. Only reheat once.